This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for details.
What Are Turkish Delight?
Turkish delight or Lokum / loukoum in Turkish, and Rahat Al Halqum in Arabic, which means: throat comfort. Loukoum is a Turkish confection, dating back to the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) and Persia (Iran). In the 19th century, Turkish delight was introduced to England, but globally and in the Americas, maybe, Turkish delight was known for the first time in the movie “The Chronicles Of Narnia”, when Edmund ate them gluttonously.
Traditional varieties of Turkish Delight, are mostly flavored with rosewater, bergamot, lemon, and Mastic (Arabic gum), it consists of chopped hazelnuts, pistachios, and almonds, they’re a pleasure to the eyes and palate.
How to Make Homemade Turkish Delight?
YIELD: 37 (1-inch) squares
- 11/4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 tablespoon rosewater
- 3 drops of red food or any other coloring
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Bring ½ cup of the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the granulated sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture reaches the softball stage (240°F on a candy thermometer). Remove from the heat.
- Stir together the cornstarch and the cream of tartar in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in the remaining ¾ cup of water, until smooth. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the cornstarch mixture, stirring until combined. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is golden, about 1 hour. Stir in the rosewater and tint with 3 drops of red food coloring.
- Line a 6-inch square pan with plastic wrap and oil the plastic. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and cool to room temperature. Let stand overnight to set.
- When Turkish Delight is set, cut it into 1-inch cubes. Coat with confectioners’ sugar or shredded coconuts
La Dorure’s Notes:
- Turkish delight makes a wonderful gift, packed and tight with a satin ribbon.
- The thermometer is essential to measure the temperature of sugar.
- The preparation needs practice, time, and attention, so, please be patient.
Discover our shop Amazon Storefront for more amazing Home, Kitchen, and Baking gadgets, which we have selected carefully, for our readers and followers.