This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for details.
The Tarte Tatin was created by Stéphanie Tatin accidentally, in the 1880s, she had the simple idea to upside-down the traditional burnt apple pie and to finish the cooking by putting the pan in the oven, then serving that burnt apple tart, to the customers of the Hôtel Tatin.
The crunchy, golden, and caramelized apples, mixed with the aroma of the slightly burnt butter, made the Tarte Tatin one of the most famous classic French desserts, since the 19th century.
How To Make The Tarte Tatin?
YIELD: 8 to 10 inch Tatin dish
- 1kg (5-7) Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered, to 6/8 quarter
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 100 g sugar
- 1 shortcrust pastry (see basics)
- Tarte Tatin dish
- Mix sugar and in an oven-safe tart dish, cook over medium-high heat, for about 5 minutes, don’t whisk until the caramel mixture becomes golden brown and bubbly.
- Pour the caramel in the tart Tatin, then arrange the apple quarters, on their sides, starting by the side of the dish to the bottom, making two layers of apple quarters.
- Roll the shortcrust pastry dough out to a thickness of about 3mm (1/2 inch) and a diameter large enough to cover the Tarte Tatin dish, trim and prick the dough with a fork
- Bake the tart in the preheated oven at 400°F for 25- 30 minutes.
- Allow for 15 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and Chantilly cream.
La Dorure’s Notes
- In the classic French recipe, Reine des Reinettes (Queens of the Pippins) and Calville apples were the most used.
- Granny Smith or Jonathan apples make an excellent choice for the Tart Tatin recipe because they hold their shape while cooking.
- Tarte Tatin is better made with the French-Style butter which contains higher butterfat and has an accentuated flavor, any European-style butter matches the recipe, like Plugrá butter.
- As a variation, make the same recipe for pineapple upside-down cake or tart.
Discover our shop Amazon Storefront for more amazing Home, Kitchen, and Baking gadgets, which we have selected carefully, for our readers and followers.