The smell of spices, the golden crust, not a soggy, sinking, cracked filling or liquid on top, this is the best Pumpkin Pie, that you can achieve with patience, love and following, the recipe step by step, then to serve proudly to your friends and family.
The first recipes of Pumpkin Pie were found in an English cookbook, The Gentlewoman’s Companion, by Hannah Woolley’s, published in 1675. Until the 19th century, the pumpkin pie became a traditional dessert, served in Thanksgiving dinner, when the recipe was published for the first time, in Canadian and American Cookbooks.
How To Make The Best Pumpkin Pie?
There are some baker’s secrets and tips that are important to make the best pumpkin pie: Flaky and golden crust, a remarkable spice flavor, and maintain the shape when slicing. The factor key is the crust, if you make a well-crust, you’ll succeed to make the best pumpkin pie.
Please, follow the recipe of a standard pie crust recipe, read carefully the notes, and beware of your local weather, hot or cold. The butter, shortening, and water should be cold. If the weather is hot, work quickly, the butter should look flattened-big shanks when you roll the pie, which gives you flaky layers.
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
Yield: A 9-inch pie
- Use standard Pie Crust Recipe + 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (Optional)
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (not pumpkin filling/pie mix)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
The Pie Crust:
Follow the recipe of pie crust, add the pumpkin pie spice spices, if you prefer. Spices give the crust more flavor.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together: Eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, heavy cream, brown sugar, and granulated sugar
- Add spices gradually, one by one, and salt. Mix well, to get the flavor of spices. For the best flavor, cover and refrigerate at least 10 minutes, before baking.
- Lightly grease the pie plate, and roll out the pastry dough as directed on the previous recipe (pie crust recipe).
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the unbaked pie shell, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Simply pinch the edge or make leaves, brush with egg wash (see recipe).
- Remove the pie from the oven, and put on a rack, to cool completely. The pie should be a little shaky from the center.
- Serve with Chantilly cream or without.
La Dorure’s Tips:
- Butternut squash makes a pie filling with a richer flavor and smoother texture than pumpkin.