This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for details.
A Brief History Of Pancakes
According to Wikipedia: A pancake (or hotcake, griddlecake, or flapjack, not to be confused with an oat bar flapjack) is a flat cake, often thin and round, prepared from a starch-based batter that may contain eggs, milk, and butter and cooked on a hot surface such as a griddle or frying pan, often frying with oil or butter. Archaeological evidence suggests that pancakes were probably the earliest and most widespread cereal food eaten in prehistoric societies.
The Ancient Greeks made pancakes called Tagenitis, all words deriving from (tagēnon), “frying pan”. The earliest attested references to tagenias are in the works of the 5th-century BC poets Cratinus and Magnes. Tagenites were made with wheat flour, olive oil, honey, and curdled milk, and were served for breakfast. Another kind of pancake was (staititēs), from (staitinos), “of flour or dough of spelt”, derived from (stais), “flour of spelt”. Athenaeus mentions, in his Deipnosophistae, staititas topped with honey, sesame, and cheese. The Middle English word Pancake appears in English in the 15th century.
American Pancakes Variations
American and Canadian pancakes (sometimes called hotcakes, griddlecakes, or flapjacks) are usually served at breakfast, in a stack of two or three, topped with real or artificial maple syrup and butter. They are often served with other items such as bacon, toast, eggs, or sausage. Other popular topping alternatives include jam, peanut butter, nuts, fruit, honey, powdered sugar, whipped cream, cane syrup, cinnamon and sugar, and molasses. In addition, when a pancake is occasionally served as a dessert, toppings such as ice cream, chocolate syrup, and various fruits are often used.
The thick batter contains eggs, flour, milk, and a leavening agent such as baking powder. The batter can have ingredients such as buttermilk, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, apples, chocolate chips, cheese, or sugar added. Spices such as cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg can also be used. Yogurt may be used to give the pancakes a relatively moist consistency. Pancakes may be ⅓ inch (1 cm) thick and are typically between 4 inches (10 cm) and 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter.
How To Make American Pancakes?
For classic American Pancakes Recipe, you’ll need:
This recipe yields 6 servings and is tested. Full details on youtube.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- In a large bowl, put the egg, add sugar and vanilla, whisk well until the ingredients have a pale color. Add butter and milk. Sift the flour with baking powder and salt, stir in over egg mixture, gradually.
- Whisk well until you get a homogenous mixture. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes, at room temperature. Meanwhile, grease slightly the pan with cooking oil or butter, and heat over medium heat.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of Pancakes batter and cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, cover to keep warm and serve with butter and honey or maple syrup.
Discover our shop La Dorure’s Amazon Storefront for amazing Home, Kitchen, and Baking gadgets, which we have selected carefully, for our readers and followers.