One of the beloved French classics desserts is Crème Caramel (flan/custard). It is so refreshing and light, when garnished with whipped cream and serve cold, makes the best dessert after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
How To Make Crème Caramel Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Custard Cream Ingredients
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml whole milk
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1/2 Tahiti pod vanilla bean, split
- Lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 6 ramekins, lightly greased with oil
- Fresh raspberry or strawberry, to garnish (optional)
- Whipped cream, to garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 11/2 tbsp water
- Prepare the caramel first: In a small pan, heat the sugar over low heat, don’t stir until it starts to dissolve
- and turned to an amber color.
- Add the water at once with caution, stirring constantly, and pour the caramel into the ramekins, and let it dry.
- Prepare the custard cream: Bring to a boil the milk with the vanilla bean.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, egg yolks, sugar and whisk evenly, but not foamy. Slowly, add the milk to the egg mixture, stirring continuously, let stand at least one hour.
- Pass the mixture through a fine strainer or “chinois”, then pour evenly into the six prepared ramekins.
- Fill a large baking tin with hot water, half-full (Bain-Marie), and place carefully the ramekins, they should be half submerged.
- Bake the Crème Caramel in a preheated moderately hot oven, at 325 degrees F, for 25-40 minutes, until custard is set.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven, and place on a wire rack to cool, for 15 minutes. Refrigerate at least 1/2 hour.
- When completely cold, gently lose the edge of the crème caramel with a tip of the knife, shake to loosen, and reverse onto serving plates.
- Garnish with Chantilly cream rosette, some berries, strawberry or raspberry, and mint, serve cold.
La Dorure Tips
- The smell of eggs is obvious in crème caramel, for this reason, try to use the best vanilla. I’ve chosen Tahiti vanilla, you can use other varieties with a strong flavor, or use a 1 tsp of the best vanilla extract brand.
- After 35 minutes, insert a toothpick to see the cooking process, if the toothpick is clean, turn off the oven.