This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for details.
One of the beloved French classics desserts is Crème Caramel (flan/custard). It is so refreshing and light, when garnished with whipped cream and serve cold, makes the best dessert after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
How To Make Crème Caramel?
Yield: 6 servings
Custard Cream Ingredients
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml whole milk
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1/2 Tahiti pod vanilla bean, split
- Lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 6 fluted ramekins, lightly greased with oil
- Fresh raspberry or strawberry, to garnish (optional)
- Whipped cream, to garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 11/2 tbsp water
The Making Of Crème Caramel
- Prepare the caramel first: In a small saucepan, heat the sugar over low heat, don’t stir until it starts to dissolve and turned to an amber color.
- Add the water at once with caution, stirring constantly, and pour the caramel into the ramekins, and let it dry.
- Prepare the custard cream: Bring to a boil the milk with the vanilla bean. Meanwhile, combine eggs, egg yolks, sugar and whisk evenly, but not foamy. Slowly, add the milk to the egg mixture, stirring continuously, let stand at least one hour.
- Pass the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or (chinois), then pour evenly into the six prepared ramekins.
- Fill a large baking tin with hot water, half-full (Bain-Marie), and place carefully the ramekins, they should be half submerged.
- Bake the Crème Caramel in a preheated moderately hot oven, at 325 degrees F, for 25-40 minutes, until custard is set.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven, and place on a wire rack to cool, for 15 minutes. Refrigerate at least 1/2 hour.
- When completely cold, gently lose the edge of the crème caramel with a tip of the knife, shake to loosen, and reverse onto serving plates.
- Garnish with Chantilly cream rosette, some berries, strawberry or raspberry, and mint, serve cold.
La Dorure’s Tips
- The smell of eggs is obvious in crème caramel, for this reason, try to use the best vanilla. I’ve chosen Tahiti vanilla, you can use other varieties with a strong flavor, or use a 1 tsp of the best vanilla extract brand.
- After 35 minutes, insert a toothpick to see the cooking process, if the toothpick is clean, turn off the oven.
Discover our shop La Dorure’s Amazon Storefront for more amazing Home, Kitchen, and Baking gadgets, which we have selected carefully, for our readers and followers.