Pecan pie variations may include white or brown sugar, cane syrup, sugar syrup, molasses, maple syrup, or honey. Most pecan pie recipes include vanilla as a flavoring. Chocolate and bourbon whiskey are other popular additions to the recipe. Pecan pie is often served with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or hard sauce.
Pecans are native to the southern United States. Archaeological evidence found in Texas indicates that Native Americans used pecans more than 8,000 years ago. The word pecan is a derivative of an Algonquin word, pakani, referring to several nuts.
How To Make Pecan Pie?
This pie is made as a tart, using a fluted tart pan. Make one 9-inch (23 cm) pie. For the shell, follow the recipe of a short-crust pie.
- 9 by a 1-inch high fluted tart pan with a removable bottom, or a standard pie plate
- short-crust pie dough, unbaked
- 113 grams Lyle’s Golden Syrup, or light corn syrup
- 108 grams light Muscovado sugar, or dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick butter (57 grams) melted
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- A pinch of salt
- 200 grams pecan halves, lightly toasted
Method Of Pecan Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350° F, twenty minutes before baking. Coat the pan with a cooking spray, if it is a nonstick pan, coat only with flour; set aside.
Mise En Place
Before starting, you should prepare your workstation, with all the ingredients and anything you need for making the Pecan Tart. In this case, have ready a medium-mesh strainer, and your pie pan or plate should be ready with the pie baked crust, and pecans placed, top side up, over it.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, place the egg yolks, beat the eggs, add corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt.
- Stir the ingredients with a silicone spatula, until they are thoroughly mixed and the sugar is dissolved, and cook over medium-low heat, about 6 minutes; at this stage, the mixture begins to thicken very slightly. Do not let it boil. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Strain the mixture, and pour slowly over the pecans, in a round motion, beginning from the center to the edges. Gently shake the tart pan, and rearrange the floating pecans, if necessary.
- Cover the top with a foil ring to protect the edges from over-browning. Place the pecan pie in the oven, on the middle rack. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes, or until the mixture is puffed and golden; when checked, the skewer inserted into the filling comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack; serve with the vanilla cream topping. This pecan pie can be store cover, for one week, at room temperature.
Discover our shop La Dorure’s Amazon Storefront for more amazing Home, Kitchen, and Baking gadgets, which we have selected carefully, for our readers and followers.