What Is The Origin Of Carrots Cake?
Many food historians believe that Carrots Cake or Queen Anne’s cake, has an European origin. During the Middle Ages, sugar was expensive and hard to find for most common people, so, carrots were like a sweetener substitute.
The first recipe of Carrots Cake was "Gâteau de Carottes" written by the French formal Chef of King Louis 16, Antoine Beauvilliers, in 1814, in his cookbook "L'Art du Cuisinier". In 1824, the cookbook was translated in English and published in London, it had the same recipe, but without pecans, and cream cheese, which is an American version.
The Carrots Cake has fans everywhere, even the cake is modest, maybe, this strange 'accolade-mixture' between the Orient and the Occident, by spices and cream cheese. Easy and quick, the ingredients can be found easily, some spices and carrots are sufficient. Still Carrots Cake is the perfect dessert for Easter day or a children birthday.
How To Make Carrots Cake?
YIELD: 8-10 servings (8-inch round pan)
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrots
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Drops of vanilla essence
2nd Group, Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Walnuts to decorate
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese Frosting, to decorate
- Prepare your cake pan, and preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Mix together, the first group of ingredients: Carrots, oil, sugar, eggs one by one, and vanilla essence, in an electric blender until light and fluffy.
- Sift together all dry ingredients: Flour, spices, salt, sugar and baking soda. Then mix in the chopped walnuts and raisins.
- Add the carrots mixture alternately to flour mixture using a wooden spoon, then mix well. DO NOT over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Leave the cake to cool, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Coat the cake with the frosting, decorate with a Cake Comb.
La Dorure Tips
- Use the recipe as a cake or muffins.