This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for details.
What Is The Yellow Lemon Dessert?
In 2015, the talented French Pastry Chef Cédric Grolet made “The Yellow Lemon” (Le Citron Jaune) dessert for Hotel Le Meurice, in Paris; a luxury and fine dessert, which suits the elegant and classic hotel. The refinement of the ingredients, the new idea, and the making of the Yellow Lemon dessert reincarnated the lemon citrus fruit in a delicate way: A sweet and an acidulant dessert, mixed with original flavors like fresh mint and caviar lemon. The making of The yellow Lemon Recipe needs time, patience, and finesse.
How To Make Cedric Grolet’s Yellow Lemon?
YIELD: 8 portions
How To Make Yuzu Mousse (Ganache Montée)?
- 3 g gelatin powder or agar-agar
- 21 g water
- 530 g heavy liquid cream
- 140 g white chocolate
- 120 g organic Yuzu juice
- Soak gelatin sheet in cold water for 20 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, boil half of the liquid cream, gelatin, and blend.
- Add the hot cream over white chocolate and mix, to let the chocolate melt.
- Add the remaining chilled heavy cream, blend, then add yuzu juice.
- Blend well with the hand-mixer to emulsify.
- Cover with a film plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Whisk chilled yuzu ganache until soft peaks and pipe out.
How To Make Yellow Lemon Marmalade Inserts?
Lemon Jelly Ingredients
- 180 g Meyers or Menton lemon juice
- 120 g water
- 30 g superfine sugar
- 5 g agar-agar
Marmalade Inserts Ingredients
- 15 g fresh mint, minced
- 55 g Caviar lemon, seeds removed
- 170 g poached Meyers or Menton lemon (see recipe) cut into small cubes
- 40 g lemon segments, chopped roughly
- Start with lemon jelly: Heat the lemon juice and water, sprinkle the sugar mixed with agar-agar, over the hot lemon mixture, and mix.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Set aside, and chill completely.
- Using a hand blender, smooth out the lemon jelly, add minced mint, squeezed caviar lemon, poached lemons, and lemon segments. Mix.
- Fill the lemon inserts in a half-sphere silicone mold (3,5 cm diameter) and freeze for 2 hours.
Yellow Citron Coating Glaze
- 250 g white chocolate, couverture, or chunks
- 250 g cacao butter
- 4 g yellow liposoluble powder, food coloring
- Melt cacao butter, mix with white chocolate, let it melt, and blend.
- Add food coloring to chocolate and blend well.
- Sieve the white chocolate mixture through a cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer.
Assembly, Enrobage & Flocage
- Fill halfway the cavity of lemon shape silicone mold with the yuzu mousse.
- Place the frozen lemon insert in the center over the yuzu mousse.
- Close off with mold top, and fill with the tip of the pastry bag the aperture on top of the mold, and the remaining yuzu mousse. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Flip the mold, unmold, scrape off any mousse excess, smooth out and freeze.
- Unmold and seal the inserts by two, sculpt in the form of a lemon, and keep them frozen.
- Make the chocolate shell: Warm up the yellow glaze to 25º-27º C, and immerse the shaped frozen lemon to coat evenly.
- Place each lemon on Marzipan coins (3 mm thick, cut out 3 cm diameter).
- Velvet effect: Air spray lemons with the same warm yellow chocolate glaze.
- Lemon skin effect: Heat up neutral professional glaze (100 g) at 50º C, it should be liquid, and air spray the lemon with the hot glaze, using a pastry gun, to get a skin effect.
- Lemon enhancer: Use a mixture of sugar syrup and edible gold powder (2 tbsp for 1 tsp). Air spray carefully away from the lemon ends.
- Final touch: Insert fresh lemon stem and leaf, and seal immediately.
La Dorure’s Tips:
- Rotate the tray when filling the mold from the top.
- Lemon inserts can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
- Lemons can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Prior to making Yuzu Mousse 24 hours before.
- This recipe is adapted from the book Fruit: The Art Of Pastry by Pastry Chef Cédric Grolet, Alain Ducasse Edition.
Don’t hesitate, and head over to AMAZON STORE to discover the best shopping list items, and the best deals for Kitchen & Dining, Grocery & Gourmet Food, Dinnerware, and Teaware. Avoid shopping disappointment, and save time and money with LA DORURE.