This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for details.
One of the best and cutest French pastry classics are Cannelés of Bordeaux [Cannelés De Bordeaux]; besides the wine, the Bordeaux region in Southwestern France, is proud of its Cannelés, since the 15th century, originated from the Couvent Des Annonciades.
The traditional Cannelés are brushed with beeswax, but butter is a good alternative. Rum is the traditional flavor with vanilla, some recipes used cognac; in this recipe, orange water blossom is sufficient with vanilla because the liquor flavor will be lost in baking. On the other side, the best Cannelés should have a soft custard center, a very deep golden color, and a crispy exterior.
How To Make Cannelés Bordelais?
Yield: 18 medium-sized Cannelés
- 500 g whole milk
- 50 g butter
- 75 g all-purpose flour
- 35 g cornflour
- 250 g granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 3 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 grade A or B vanilla beans
- A pinch of salt
For lining the molds
- 50 g butter
- 50 g beeswax E 901
Special Equipment To Make Cannelés
The best molds for cannelés are copper molds, but they’re expensive. You can use aluminum or steel molds, even for a cheaper alternative, you can use silicone molds, but it requires more cooking time, and usually, cannelés baked in silicone molds have uneven cooking.
The Method Of Cannelés
- To make Canneles start by heating the milk, vanilla pods, and butter, to a rolling boil, in a medium saucepan, and set aside.
- Whisk the yolks, with a balloon whisk, add the whole egg, sugar, and orange blossom water.
- Mix flour and cornflour well and add them to the egg mixture.
- Détremper slowly the egg mixture with milk by whisking, until it becomes a liquid mixture.
- Pass the batter through a chinois or a fine-mesh sieve, to strain the custard, and let to rest in the refrigerator for 24 h.
- Melt the butter and beeswax together, brush the molds, pour the batter 3/4 up the mold.
- Bake the cannelés for 10 minutes at 450°F, then lower the heat, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, at 375°F.
- Unmold the hot cannelés, upside-down on a wire rack. Set aside.
La Dorure’s Tips:
- For a long-lasting cannelés, use beeswax.
- To keep the cannelés crispy, don’t cover or refrigerate them.
Discover our shop La Dorure’s Amazon Storefront for more amazing Home, Kitchen, and Baking gadgets, which we have selected carefully, for our readers and followers.