This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I, La Dorure, earn from qualifying purchases. Please read our disclosure policy.
What Are Crêpes?
The Crêpes (Les crêpes) is a French light batter (paper-thin) similar to pancake
batter, made with only the main baking four-ingredients: eggs, flour, milk, and the melted butter, but without the baking powder. They are cooked instantly (pan-frying) and best made in a cast-iron, carbon-steel pan, hard-anodized pan, or a table crêpière pan, then filled, with various creams, fresh fruits, chocolate Ganache, or any other filling.
With the same Crêpes batter, you can make so many sweet variations, like: Crêpes Suzettes, almond Crêpes, Crêpes Condé, cherries Crêpes, Crêpes Normandes, etc…
Usually, savory Crêpes are served as an Hors-D’oeuvre, and filled with thick sauces, like Crêpes with cheese and eggs, Roquefort Crêpes, spinach Crêpes, mushrooms Crêpes, etc…or simply cut in strips, and served over a vegetables soup (potager).
How To Make The Basic Crêpes Batter?
The basic Crêpe batter takes almost ten minutes to be prepared, but it is better to let it rest at least two hours. Flavor the Crêpes batter according to the filing or the sauce, described in the recipe.
Yield: ≈ 4 Persons
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 10 g butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (for sweet crêpes only)
- 25 cl whole milk
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar (for sweet crêpes only)
- A pinch of salt
- The first thing, you should blend the ingredients well, using a whisk.
- Sift flour and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Form a well in the center of the flour, and gradually add the beaten eggs, whisk them into the flour, with a balloon whisk. Whisk well until the mixture is free of lumps.
- Add milk and water, whisk again.
- When the mixture is well blended, add the melted butter, and vanilla (or the flavor of your choice). Whisk to blend all the ingredients together.
- Cover the Crêpes batter, and let to rest at least two hours, at room temperature (20°C)
How To Cook The Crêpes?
Before cooking the Crêpes, check the consistency. The batter should be light and run freely from the spoon. If you find that the batter is thick, just add one tablespoon of water; but if you find the batter is thin, let rest for half an hour, and check again.
1- Over medium heat, on a lightly greased pan, cook the crêpe, about 12-15 seconds, or until its upper surface looks dry and almost opaque, and the edges begin to curl.
2- With a flat spatula, slowly, free the edges of the Crêpe, and slide it underneath, then turn the Crêpe (you can use your finger to flip the Crêpe over).
3- Cook the second side of the Crêpes for about 8 seconds, and slide on a serving plate. Cover.
4- Grease the pan, if necessary, and stir the batter before to proceed cooking the Crêpes, as directed above.
How To Make Almond Crêpes?
- Make the basic Crêpes batter and cook as directed above
- Mix the pastry cream with 75g almond powder, stir well. You should get a thick and smooth cream.
- Fill the Crêpes with almond cream and roll out or fold. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the Crêpes, and brown in the preheated oven at 375° C. Garnish as you wish, with fresh fruits or Chantilly cream rosette.